Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Homemade Shampoo

This is a simple homemade shampoo that I love. I don't even need to use conditioner. I started using this shampoo to save money. One of the benefits I have noticed from using this homemade version, is that I no longer have dandruff on my scalp. I used to scratch my head and come away with my fingernails full of what looked like dried soap.



I got this recipe from a pin on Pinterest. It was pinned from Real Beauty Spot. There are several shampoo recipes on this site. Pick the one that you prefer and go for it. I chose the one that had the ingredients that I already had in the house. I made the coconut milk shampoo. I didn't have the Castile soap, so I used baby shampoo. I know, why not just use the baby shampoo? I wanted something that would help my dry damaged hair and I was hoping the coconut milk and vitamin E oil would do that. Also, you only need a 1/3 cup of the shampoo for this recipe. A good size bottle of baby shampoo will last a while.

My hair still has a little way to go before it looks completely healthy, but it is much better than it was. The ingredients below are really just a guideline. You can replace some of the ingredients for something similar. I have listed a possible replacement for them. This recipe makes a small amount so that you can figure out if you like it before making a lot of it.

Coconut Milk Shampoo

1/4 cup Coconut Milk (from the can, not the carton)
1/3 cup Castile Soap (or any mild shampoo like, baby shampoo)
1/2 tsp Vitamin E Oil (or olive oil, I have used olive oil and it works great)
Essential oil (optional, but you may want some kind of scent in your shampoo)
Old shampoo bottle ( This recipe doesn't make much so I used a small honey bottle that had been washed out)

The amount of the essential oils in the recipe called for 20 drops, but I used peppermint and was afraid that 20 drops would be way too much. I only put in around 3 or 4 drops. My hair doesn't smell like peppermint, but I love the feeling of it on my scalp.

You will need to shake the shampoo a little before using it to blend the oil back into it. The Vitamin E oil (or which ever oil you added) may separate while it sits. Some people mentioned refrigerating the shampoo because of the coconut milk, but I didn't store mine in the refrigerator and it was fine. Although I have to say, I don't make a lot of it at a time.I use the amounts listed in the recipe above and just make it as I need it.

If you try this or one of the other recipes listed on the website, let me know how it turned out. I would love to know how they work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a family friendly blog so please keep the comments clean from adult content. If you say something inappropriate your comment will be removed and you will be reported. :)