Friday, January 9, 2015

Breakfast Burritos and Calzones

I finally got around to making Breakfast Burritos and Calzones. These were so easy to make that I wish that I had made them a long time ago. It makes eating breakfast so easy. I tend to skip breakfast because I just don't feel like getting out the cookware and making a mess. I don't really like cereal all that well and milk makes me sick to my stomach.

I usually end up grabbing a snack cake and regretting it as soon as I finish eating it. Sweet things make me sick in the mornings. Pure laziness makes me continue to do this. Now, this is no longer a problem. I can get a burrito out of the freezer and warm it up in the microwave for about a minute and a half. I love it.

I also made some calzones for lunches through the week. These are perfect for the girls to grab and heat up for an easy lunch. I have to admit, I heated one up for snack last night and they were pretty good. I wouldn't say they are great, but you can change up the ingredients and make them the way you want.



The burritos were made with a roll of medium sausage (like Jimmy Dean), onions, eggs, Mozzarella cheese and some salt and pepper. I browned the sausage and then added in the onions. After the onions were soft, I added 8 eggs that I had whisked up in a bowl with some salt and pepper. I stirred these constantly so that they wouldn't get crispy. When the eggs were all cooked, I added about a 1/2 cup of shredded Mozzarella cheese. I let it melt a little and then turned off the burner.

Next I got out my store bought burritos ( I am not ambitious enough to make my own). I filled the burritos, rolled them up and laid them in a pan. I put them in the freezer for about 45 minutes to flash freeze them and then I put them in a gallon size freezer bag and stored them in the freezer. I made ten of these, but I was hungry by the time I was finished, so I ate one. Yummy

The calzones were made with jumbo biscuits from a can (I accidentally bought butter flavored). It would be easy enough to make some pizza dough for these, but I wanted to make these up pretty quick. I just laid the biscuit on a plate and flattened it out big enough to fill and fold it. I just added some pizza sauce, Parmesan cheese, Mozzarella cheese and pepperonis. I folded it up and pressed a fork on the edges to make sure they were stuck together. I brushed them with egg and sprinkled on some garlic salt and Parmesan cheese. I put them in the oven at the recommended setting and time for the biscuits. The extra pizza sauce can be used as a dip or you can make your own. Garlic butter dip might be good.

I let the calzones cool off and then I flash froze them the same way I did the burritos. Then I put them in a freezer bag and set them in the freezer. These will need about a minute or so in the microwave.

I really should remember to take step by step pictures, but for now, this is all I have.

Breakfast Burritos
Baked calzones
Calzones in freezer bag

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a family friendly blog so please keep the comments clean from adult content. If you say something inappropriate your comment will be removed and you will be reported. :)