Monday, December 29, 2014

Liquid Laundry Soap

I loved the Super Laundry Sauce that I posted about recently, but I love the liquid laundry recipe even more. With this recipe, I don't have to wait until it cools off to use it and if I don't feel like it, I don't have to blend it with the immersion blender (this step isn't used in the original recipe, but I like to make it smoother).

The recipe I used came from One Good Thing by Jillee. At this time, for some reason, her site is down so I can't link to her recipe.  UPDATE: Her site is finally working

This is the way I make it:



Ingredients

large pot
2- 1 gallon jugs ( I use 2 milk jugs)
Funnel
1/2 bar Fels Naptha soap (finely grated)
1 cup Borax
1 cup Washing Soda (not baking soda)
8 cups of water
2/3 cup Purex Mountain Scent (divided between the 2 jugs)

I didn't use the Purex in my first batch of laundry soap and it worked fine. I use it now because I just feel better having it for some extra cleaning power and I like the scent. We were at Save-a-Lot one day and my husband spotted these Purex packets that are used for refilling the Purex bottles. Each one said it did 8 loads and the best part was, they only cost $.79 each. He said, "Hey, why don't you try using this in your laundry soap." I said, "What a great idea!" So now I can't live without them and I figure they will quit selling them soon. That's how my luck goes.

Anyway, enough rambling, lets get back to the recipe. I only grate 1/2 a bar of the soap so the liquid doesn't get too thick, but you can grate the whole thing if you want. Add the grated soap and the water to the pot and slowly bring it to a boil while stirring it once in a while to help the soap dissolve. Don't leave it alone, if it boils over, you will have a soapy mess.

After the soap has completely dissolved, add the Borax and Washing Soda. I usually combine them into a bowl so that I can add them both at once. Stir until the powders are dissolved completely. You will know they are dissolved when you don't feel the gritty particles in the pot any longer.

At this point, if you wanted to, you can add some downy crystals (or other brand) to add some nice scent to your laundry soap. I add my Purex into the jugs after dividing the soap mixture into the jugs (before I fill them with water).

Now, this is where the funnel comes in handy. Divide the hot liquid equally between the two 1 gallon jugs. I use a measuring cup so I get the amounts as close as possible, but you can just "eyeball" it if you want. Then add enough water to fill the jug up to a few inches from the top. Don't fill it all the way up with water so it will be easier to shake the jugs.

Shake the jugs to mix up the soap and you are finished. It will be lumpy at this point, but you can use it this way. I prefer to dump it out into a deep pan and use my immersion blender on it. It takes our almost all of the lumps and makes it a thicker consistency. Then you can put it back into the jugs.

 I have collected some old laundry detergent bottles from family and I fill these jugs up to set in the laundry room. I use the cap and fill it about 1/2 full for each load.

Let me know how you make your homemade laundry detergent. I am always looking for new ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a family friendly blog so please keep the comments clean from adult content. If you say something inappropriate your comment will be removed and you will be reported. :)