Let me start out by saying, I have never liked iced coffee. To me, the only way to drink coffee was hot. Well, it turns out that I was wrong (It happens occasionally). I made iced coffee for the first time today and I couldn't believe how good it tasted.
I used the recipe at The Pioneer Woman's site ( I get a lot of wonderful recipes from her). I made the coffee concentrate, but I didn't make a large amount. I used one of the recommended portions in the comments. I got an old butter bowl and put in 2/3 cups of coffee grounds and then added 3 cups of water straight from the tap. It doesn't have to warm or hot. The recipe says to allow it to steep for at leas 8 hours, but every time I make this concentrate, I just can't wait that long. I put the lid on it and allowed it to steep for about 4 hours.
This is the part of the recipe that I hate, straining the coffee grounds. It takes a while for the coffee to filter through. I strained it with a coffee filter that I had put over a mason jar. I just pushed the filter down into the jar a little bit and slowly poured the coffee mix into it. I used several filters because once the filter gets full of grounds, it takes even longer.
I put the mason jar full of coffee into the fridge to get cold and made some sugar syrup to add to my iced coffee later. I just put 1 cup of water into a pan to get hot. Once it was close to boiling, I added 2 cups of sugar. After it was all dissolved, I set it aside to cool and then put it in a small mason jar. Then I put it in the fridge to get cold.
Finally, I was ready to make my iced coffee. I filled a tall glass with ice and then added the coffee concentrate to about half way. Now this is where I can't really give you amounts. I added milk until the ice cubes kind of floated and then I put in maybe a tablespoon or so of the sugar syrup. I tasted it and then added a little more milk and some more syrup. You will have to experiment with this part until you get what you like.
If the drink is too strong, then add more milk and just put in less concentrate the next time you make it. You can also use sweetened condense milk for this, but I don't have any right now. You can even just add plain sugar, but I decided not to do this because it is hard to get sugar to dissolve in cold drinks.
If you try this, let me know if you liked it or if you tried something different.
No comments:
Post a Comment
This is a family friendly blog so please keep the comments clean from adult content. If you say something inappropriate your comment will be removed and you will be reported. :)